And I arrived around 8.30pm! Sure enough, I didn't get to witness the 'live show' - the guys were already packing :( Stupid me, for being late! (as if I didn't know the start time..)
The Kanto Festival held in Akita City, has been designated an Important Intangible Folk Cultural Property. Held annually from August 5 to 7, the Kanto Festival is to ask for an abundant grain harvest. It has become a symbol of Akita, a leading rice-growing area. A Kanto is an array of many candle-lit lanterns hung on a bamboo frame and each one looks like a glowing ear of rice. The larger Kanto, weighing about 50 kg (110 lbs.), rise 12 m (13.2 yd.) into the air and suspend 46 lanterns. Supporting these lights are 3,000 people, including performers who demonstrate wonderful skills - balance the Kanto without gripping the poles, and placing them on the palms of their hands, they raise them higher and higher.
Reference: http://web-japan.org/atlas/festivals/fes03.html
No comments:
Post a Comment