Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'd enuff...

"giving up is the easiest way out but is not the best way out.."

this phrase has always been pounding on me whenever I wanna quit doing something. Could it be due to my weak determination, inadequate efforts put in, wrong method done/wrong path taken, inpatience or... Giving up is also a way of escaping (to me).. instead of braving up to fight the battle, I am retreating! That's what 'cowards' do, not me - I told myself. In fact, I HATE giving up and admitting defeat ^__^

But sometimes, it is the reality that forces one to make such a bitter decision. No choice? Or simply an excuse? It depends on the situation and how one sees it.. Throughout the stages of life, I encountered various 'defeats' and I'm angry with myself for 'losing'. Is it 'ego' or 'stubboness'? I don't know..

There is a story I heard last night from a Soka friend that I would like to share with you:
A little boy dropped his favourite toy car into his parents' antique flower vase. Of course, he inserted his hand (and arm) into the vase to retrieve it. To his dismay, his hand was 'stuck' and could not be pulled out. No matter how hard they tried, his hand was still inside the vase and became reddened from the struggle. His mother was worried sick and called her husband for advice - whether it is ok to break the antique vase so that their son's hand could be out.

Initially, the father did not agree to break the expensive piece of antique but he has no choice.. Finally, they decided to 'let go' and break the vase to free their son's hand. Suddenly, they realised the reason for the hand being stuck inside the vase - the boy's hand kept on grabbing the toy car!

In life, we often 'grab' on to something which we think is more important and are blinded by the surroundings. Like the little boy, he so much wanted to retrieve his favourite toy car and never once thought of 'letting go' first to get out of the difficult situation. Because of not 'letting go', the parents broke the antique vase and paid a high price..

I too, have to make a big decision.. to find a greener pasture. And I expect to see victory.. :)

No comments: